This is a great debate that is leaving most Miami residents more confused than helped.
If you visit the shutters dealer, he will swear to you that shutters will protect you at a very affordable rate, unlike impact windows. If you head over to the impact window sales rep, they will not stop convincing you until you buy. So where is the lie?
We will demystify the argument with unbiased facts and allow you to decide for yourself at the end.
All about hurricane shutters
Shutters are a staple name in South Florida. They are made of steel and aluminum and protect your home against winds and flying debris. Hurricane shutters do not seal the windows instead they cover them acting as a shield in front of the window.
The glass behind the shutters might be normal glass and can be shattered by the pressure applied on the shutters by the storm. Shutters must be rolled down to protect you from the storm. If they are up, they cannot protect you at all. The downside is you cannot keep them rolled down at all times because they make your house dark blocking the natural light.
- Cost: shutters cost significantly lower compared to impact windows
- Type and color: Shutters come in a variety of models and colors to choose from
- Weight: They are bulky in weight
- Durability: Lasts for a while but get dents and scratches being rolled up and down
- Protection from breaking and shuttering of glass: none
- Light transparency: none
- Energy efficiency: none
- Noise cancellation: none
- Burglary proof: none
All about the impact windows
Hurricane impact windows are hurricane-proof and offer the best protection against storms. These windows cannot be damaged during a storm no matter how strong its magnitude. They not only protect your home from storms but also noise, and burglars.
When impact windows are installed in your home, you don’t have to worry about when the storm will hit.
You don’t have to worry about putting them up and down. Once installed, they are permanent! They do not shield you from enjoying the natural light in your home. Impact windows offer protection all year round.
- Protection: offers 24/7 protection to your home. You don’t have to fix it in any way after installation
- Cost: Impact windows are expensive than shutters. But they attract a lot of financing from manufacturers and sellers as well as discounts from insurance companies.
- Model and color:
- Impact windows are of one color but are slimmer and appealing to the eye
- Energy efficiency: They aid in energy efficiency by blocking the hot sun and cold winds
- Noise reduction: They help in reducing neighborhood noises
- Durability: Impact glass can last a lifetime. They do break but do not shatter, which is not common. They are repairable; that is not the case with normal windows.
The final decision is yours We have examined the pros and cons of both products. This is only a scratch on the surface. No one knows when the hurricane storm will strike. Go ahead and make a final decision depending on what you want to invest in. AT Impact Glass USA, we do not interfere with your final decision. What we do is answer your questions and clear doubts that you may have after reading these facts.